Here is another learning activity adapted from our “Home Preschool Curriculum” developed by Fran Wisniewski and Diane Flynn Keith for UniversalPreschool.com.
Remember, only do these learning activities if they are enjoyable for you and your child. Do not treat this as a “must do” lesson. It’s simply a fun activity that provides an opportunity to learn, while building “readiness skills” for the school or homeschool environment.
- Visit the playground and encourage your child to jump.
- Play a game with a balloon where you have to jump up to hit the balloon.
- Play jump rope. Here are some instructions. Here are some fun jump rope rhymes.
- Play games like Simon Says. Or, play Follow The Leader. First, you jump, then your child tries to jump. Then, you touch your toes, and your child follows your lead. Run in place, swing your arms, and stretch your hands high up to the ceiling. Let your child be the leader and you follow whatever he/she does.
- Do jumping jacks with your child.
- Teach your child to do The Bunny Hop dance. Listen to the music and read the lyrics here.
- Act like an animal that hops such as a rabbit, kangaroo, or frog.
- Play Hopscotch. This classic game teaches or reinforces counting skills while developing physical coordination. Here are instructions for how to draw a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk, patio, or driveway along with directions on how to play the game. You may also be able to find a hopscotch grid at a local schoolyard.
Get innovative learning activities themed around dates of historical importance (and whimsical holidays) with “UniversalPreschool.com’s Learning Calendar!” It’s jam-packed with fun for the whole family! Get your calendar today at: http://www.universalpreschool.com/uplearning.asp
Copyright 2010, Diane Flynn Keith, All Rights Reserved. Publication or distribution in any medium including blogs, newsletters, ezines, websites, or online discussion lists is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.Thank you for helping to protect my copyright.