An easy way to introduce the concept of numbers and counting is to do it using everyday objects. Count out loud in front of your child whenever you are performing a task where counting is useful.
- Count objects with your child as you put away toys and games.
- Count the towels as you put them in the washing machine.
- Count silverware as you set the table.
- Count items as you put them in the shopping cart at the grocery store.
- Count game pieces to ensure that you have everything for the next time you want to play.
- Count coins and change.
By demonstrating counting in everyday situations you are showing your child why knowing how to count is important.